Most crimes related to sexual contact is considered a sex offense. But, does sexual contact with an animal count? Three men are facing over 1,400 charges of Cruelty to Animals after a 16-year-old reported them to police for having sexual intercourse with animals. According to the report, the teen reported the inappropriate behavior and when the premises was searched, videos were found depicting the sexual abuse of dogs, horses, a cow and a goat. Would this behavior require sex offender registration?
Arapahoe County Cruelty to Animals Lawyer: Definition of Animal Cruelty in Douglas County
The Douglas and Arapahoe County, Colorado law definition of Cruelty to Animals – C.R.S. 18-9-202 – is:(1) (a) A person commits cruelty to animals if he or she knowingly, recklessly, or with criminal negligence overdrives, overloads, overworks, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance, unnecessarily or cruelly beats, allows to be housed in a manner that results in chronic or repeated serious physical harm, carries or confines in or upon any vehicles in a cruel or reckless manner, engages in a sexual act with an animal, or otherwise mistreats or neglects any animal.
Based on the definition, a person can be charged with Animal Cruelty for engaging in sex acts with animals – which is why the men are facing multiple charges.
Sex Crimes Requiring Registration in Adams and Jefferson County
According to Colorado law, a conviction for a crime that is considered unlawful sexual behavior require the person to register as a sex offender. These crimes include:
- Sexual Assault
- Sexual Assault on a Child
- Unlawful Sexual Contact
- Sexual Assault on a Child by One in a Position of Trust
- Sexual Assault on a Child by a Psychotherapist
- Enticement of a Child
- Aggravated Incest
- Human Trafficking of a Minor for Sexual Servitude
- Sexual Exploitation of Children
- Procurement of a Child for Sexual Exploitation
- Indecent Exposure
- Soliciting for Child Prostitution
- Pandering of a Child
- Procurement of a Child
- Keeping a Place of Child Prostitution
- Pimping of a Child
- Inducement of Child Prostitution
- Patronizing a Prostituted Child
- Engaging in Sexual Contact in a Correctional Institution
- Wholesale Promotion of Obscenity to a Minor
- Promotion of Obscenity to a Minor
- Internet Luring of a Child (class 4 felony)
- Internet Sexual Exploitation of a Child
- Invasion of Privacy for Sexual Gratification
- Public Indecency (under certain circumstances)
- Second Degree Kidnapping (under certain circumstances)
So, Animal Cruelty is not on the list of crimes that require sex offender registration.
If you or someone you love, has been charged with a sex offense, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact the best criminal defense attorneys from the O'Malley Law Office at 303-830-0880 for a free consultation. Together, we can protect your future.
Image Source: Pixabay-Fran__