Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

What Happens When You Don’t Meet Conditions for Probation or Deferred Judgment?

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Jul 27, 2016 | 0 Comments

Learn more about deferred judgment or probation revocation in Colorado.

Image Credit: Pixabay – Clker-Free-Vector-Images

Receiving a deferred judgment or probation sentence is  a good outcome of a criminal case in Denver, Delta County and everywhere else in Colorado, as long as you obey the rules and conditions. But, if you do not comply with even one rule or condition of your probation sentence or deferred judgment, you can face a Petition to Revoke. Then, your deferred judgment or probation sentence is gone and the court can start all over in sentencing you.  In most cases, your second sentence will not be as good as the first, and will likely involve some jail time.

Probation Revocation Lawyer in Douglas County: Petition to Revoke Probation in Colorado

In Highlands Ranch, Douglas County and everywhere else in Colorado, probation is an alternative to a jail or prison sentence and can be supervised or unsupervised. Specific terms and conditions will be laid out for probation. If you fail to meet any of these terms and conditions, you can face a Petition to Revoke Probation or a Complaint to Revoke Probation.  If the judge revokes you, it will resentence you to one of the original possible sentences. The possibilities include a prison or jail sentence, a new probation sentence or work release.

Deferred Judgment Revocation Lawyer in Jefferson County and Across Colorado: Petition to Revoke Deferred Judgment

You will receive a deferred judgment and sentence agreement if your lawyer arranges for this plea with the district attorney.  Part of the agreement will include you pleading guilty to one or more charges in Jefferson County, Golden, or any other area of Colorado. Required conditions for a deferred judgment are similar to probation conditions. The good news with a deferred judgment is that you can have your record sealed and case dismissed if you successfully complete what's required of you. If you don't, however, you will face a Petition to Revoke Deferred Judgment. You must then attend a hearing, which will determine whether you met your terms and conditions. If you didn't successfully complete what was required of you, you will be sentenced to one of the original sentencing options, as stated above. Again, these options include work release, a possible jail or prison sentence or new probation sentence.

Probation Revocation in Adams County and Deferred Judgment Revocation Hearing

In Adams County, Arapahoe County and across Colorado, there is a judge but no jury at a probation revocation or deferred judgment revocation hearing. Both sides can call witnesses. More often than not, probation officers will be the witnesses for these hearings. In other cases, a deferred judgment officer is the main witness against you. A deferred judgment officer can testify that you didn't complete required treatment or community service, didn't pay your restitution, didn't show up to your appointments, possessed a firearm, failed to register as a sex offender or didn't report to jail for a small sentence before the start of probation. If accused of any of these violations (among others), an experienced criminal defense lawyer will need to explain to the judge why you didn't meet these conditions and how it was not your fault.

Facing Allegations of Violating Probation or a Deferred Judgment and Sentence in Colorado? Call Us

If facing accusations that you violated your probation or a deferred judgment in Denver, Aurora or anywhere else in Colorado, don't hesitate to call the best criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office. The help of an experienced attorney is imperative in your criminal case. Our lawyers can present your judge with your progress in treatment, the severity of your offense, your criminal history, and any professional evaluations. If we can show the judge any efforts and progress you've made, you may have a better chance of avoiding a jail or prison sentence or extended probation. Call our office today if facing any allegations of probation or deferred judgment violations in Colorado.

If you or a loved one faces accusations of violating your probation or deferred in Colorado, be smart and exercise your right to remain silent. Then, contact the best criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office for a free consultation at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment