Image Credit: Pixabay – REDQUASAR
Not all probation sentences in Denver and Douglas County are the same. Probation for sexual offenses such as Sexual Assault on a Child, Incest or Indecent Exposure, is extremely restrictive. A person receives Sex Offender Intensive Supervision Probation – SOISP – when they are convicted, plead guilty, plead guilty to a deferred sentence, or plead no contest to certain sex offenses.
Sex Offender Intensive Supervised Probation in Arapahoe and Adams County – A Probation Lawyer's View of SOISP
When someone is convicted of or pleads guilty to a sexual offense in Arapahoe or Adams County such as Internet Luring of a Child, Unlawful Sexual Contact or Enticement of a Child and receives a probation sentence, they will undergo Sex Offender Intensive Probation (SOISP). The guidelines of SOISP are strict and the consequences for non-compliance can be harsh. One of the reasons for the harshness is that Probation Officers are responsible for keeping the public safe. If a person reoffends while on probation (under the watch of the PO) the PO fears losing their job and being criticized by the public. Additionally, if a sex offender fails to meet the requirements, they risk having their probation revoked. Under SOISP, a defendant will receive therapy and treatment (including polygraph testing). SOISP can include restricted activities, monitored curfew, drug and alcohol screening, treatment referrals/monitoring of those treatments, and mandatory contact between the sex offender and their probation officer.
A Jefferson County Probation Sentence: Things to Remember
There are a number of things to remember if sentenced to probation in Jefferson County, Colorado:
- Be respectful when dealing with your probation officer.
- Don't get too comfortable with your probation officer, as they may see it as a form of manipulation. They are not your friend.
- Show gratitude for whatever you can and as often as you can during your probation sentence.
- Try to learn as much as you can during your probation sentence, because there are always ways to grow.
- Don't ask for too many special privileges.
- Try to stay humble and have a good attitude towards what is required of you.