Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

Denver Sex Offender Registration Frequently Asked Questions

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Jul 22, 2015 | 0 Comments

Read sex offender registration frequently asked questions in Colorado.
Image Credit: Pixabay – PublicDomainPictures

As attorneys who specialize in sex crimes across Denver, Arapahoe County, and everywhere else in Colorado, we want to ensure that people are aware of the risks of a sex crime conviction. One of those risks is likely sex offender registration. In today's blog, we'll discuss some frequently asked questions surrounding sex offender registration across Colorado.

I was convicted of a sex offense—do I have to register as a sex offender in Adams and Douglas County?

Sex offenses like Aggravated Incest, Internet Luring of a Child, Enticement of a Child and First and Second Degree Sexual Assault require registration as a sex offender. Sex crimes against children are treated more harshly and are typically seen as felony sex offenses. Because of this, lifetime sex offender registration is possible. However, not all sex offenses require lifetime sex offender registration, and in some cases, people can deregister.

What do I have to provide when registering as a sex offender in Jefferson and Morgan County?

You will be required to provide your name, date of birth, current address, all email addresses you have, a current picture, instant messaging or chat room identities, as well as a set of fingerprints.

Can I take my name off of the sex offender registry list in Colorado?

Sexually violent predators or those who have been convicted of a sex crime with required lifetime sex offender registration cannot have their names removed. However, if you qualify, you can request to have your name taken off of the registry as long as you haven't received a disposition for or been convicted of another sexual offense. The time that someone can petition to deregister as a sex offender depends on the sex offense conviction. There are many variables under complicated rules for when and whether someone can deregister. Only an experienced sex crimes lawyer can tell you if your circumstances qualify.

Should I consult a criminal defense attorney?

The answer to this question is “absolutely”. Sometimes, convictions of sex crime charges are exaggerated and falsely made. People can face sex crime convictions because of witnesses lying and offering false evidence to a judge or jury. This can lead to unfair sex offender registration, which requires the help of an experienced lawyer. A knowledgeable attorney can be sure that you are not convicted and required to register for a crime you did not commit.

Have More Questions? Contact the Best Sex Crime Defense Lawyers in Denver

Many sex crimes require sex offender registration, which can lead to restricting and harsh consequences. If you would like to know more about sex offender registration or how to deregister, don't hesitate to contact our office for a free initial consultation with a defense lawyer. You and your future are worth protecting, and we are here to help.

Request a Free Consultation

If you're facing a sex offense charge or think you might be charged with a sex crime in Denver, Pitkin or El Paso County, or anywhere in the Denver-metro area, be smart and exercise your right to remain silent. Call the O'Malley Law Office at 303-830-0880 or fill out the “Get Help Now” form on the side of this page. Together, we can protect your future.

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment