Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

Governor’s Pardon for Felony Sexual Assault (CRS 18-3-402)

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Feb 12, 2013 | 0 Comments

People in Denver, Jefferson, or Arapahoe County who have been convicted of a felony sex crime like Incest (CRS 18-6-302), Sexual Assault (CRS 18-3-402), or Sexual Exploitation of a Child (CRS 18-6-403), will find that even after they have served their time in prison or on probation, their punishment will continue. In all of Colorado including Larimer, Douglas, Weld, and Adams County, a convicted felon will lose their firearm privileges for the rest of their life.

When someone pleads guilty to a felony sex crime, or is convicted of a felony sex offense by a jury, they lose all gun and firearm rights permanently. Good people call us all the time wondering if they can ever receive their gun rights again, only to hear that because of a mistake in the past or a plea made in desperation, they will never be able to possess a firearm. It does not seem right to us that just because someone is a nonviolent felon they should lose their right to protect and defend their family by owning a gun or firearm and never be able to hunt with a firearm to put food on their table.

Currently, the only way that a convicted felon may have their gun rights restored is to receive a governor's pardon. This process is extremely tedious, and may only be attempted ten years after your entire sentence is complete. If the application is denied, you may not attempt to receive a governor's pardon again for another four years.

The best way to combat any sex crime charge is to get an attorney involved right away. They will be on your side and help you make the best decision regarding your future. Many people are ignorant of the fact that a quick plea deal made because they wanted to resolve charges quickly will affect them their entire lives. The consequences of pleading guilty to a felony last a lifetime in Colorado, and until the law is changed so that felons are treated more fairly, you will continue to be punished long after your original sentence is over.

If police contact you regarding sex crime charges, be smart, exercise your right to remain silent, and contact the experienced criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment