Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

Is the Juvenile Diversion Program a Helpful Alternative?

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Sep 30, 2015 | 0 Comments

Is the juvenile diversion program a helpful alternative in Colorado? Read our blog to find out more.
Image Credit: Pixabay – StartupStockPhotos

If your child has been charged with a crime such as Juvenile Internet Luring of a Child or Sexual Exploitation of a Child in Denver, you may be feeling a mixture of emotions. You may be at a loss for what to do. That's why it's important to know about your child's options after facing criminal charges in Denver and Douglas County, Colorado. One option includes going through the Juvenile Diversion Program. Let's learn more about this program in today's blog and how it will affect your child's criminal record.

What is the Juvenile Diversion Program in Jefferson and Adams County, Colorado?

The Juvenile Diversion Program is a healthy alternative to spending time in a juvenile detention center.

The Juvenile Diversion Program is a helpful alternative in Jefferson and Adams County, compared to the normal court process for teenagers (or minors) charged with a crime. As an alternative, its goal is to help a juvenile move forward after facing criminal charges.

Within the Juvenile Diversion Program, juveniles and minors participate in diversion programs like community service, restitution programs and cognitive-behavioral programming groups. These classes help juveniles take ownership of their mistakes and work through them in a healthy way. Among many other things, they'll learn life skills, conflict resolution skills and other coping tools. Make sure to speak with an attorney about how these programs may differ from county to county.

If your teen successfully completes the Juvenile Diversion Program, his / her case will be dismissed without a guilty plea. The Juvenile Diversion Program is a healthy and helpful alternative to spending time in a juvenile detention center. While not all District Attorney offices offer a diversion program, many do.

How Does My Teen Get Accepted Into the Program in Denver and Arapahoe County?

Teens have the option of going through the Juvenile Diversion Program in Denver and Arapahoe County instead of a juvenile detention center if:

  • They plead guilty to a crime;
  • They were between 10 and 17 years old when the crime was committed;
  • It's their first time in a Juvenile Diversion Program;
  • There are no other pending court cases or pending judgments against them;
  • They and their parents agree to participate in the program.

Generally, if your child has been charged with a class 3, 4, 5 or 6 felony or a class 1, 2, or 3 misdemeanor in Colorado, it's likely he / she will be accepted into the program. Your criminal defense attorney can review how to qualify and increase your child's chances of being accepted.

Learn More about the Juvenile Diversion Program in Douglas County

If your child is facing any criminal charges in Douglas County, Castle Rock or Aurora, Colorado, you should consult an expert sex crimes defense attorney right away. Your child's future is at risk and needs protecting. That's why the Juvenile Detention Program could be a helpful alternative for your teen. If you or your child would like to know more about this helpful program, contact one of our experienced criminal defense attorneys today.

Request a Free Consultation

If your child has been charged with a sex crime like Sexual Assault or Unlawful Sexual Contact and you'd like more information on navigating the juvenile court process, be smart, exercise your child's right to remain silent and contact the best juvenile criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office at 303-830-0880, or submit the “Get Help Now” form. Together, we can protect your child's future.

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment