Incest is a sex offense in Jefferson County, Colorado that should be handled with the utmost caution. This crime includes sexual interaction with biological children, blood relatives, step-children, or adopted children. Incest and Aggravated Incest are often charged alongside other sex crimes in Colorado. For example, sexual assault on a child or sexual assault on a child by one in a position of trust can sometimes accompany an incest charge. Therefore, expert criminal defense is a necessity. Contacting a Jefferson County incest lawyer is especially crucial to protect a defendant's future.
What is Incest in Jefferson County, CO?
Incest C.R.S. 18-6-301 in Lakewood, CO is committed when the following occurs:
- any person that knowingly marries, inflicts sexual penetration or intrusion on, or subjects to sexual contact
- an ancestor or descendant, including a natural child, adopted child, or stepchild (21 years or older)
- a brother or sister of the whole or half blood, or an uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the whole blood
The more severe crime of Aggravated Incest C.R.S. 18-6-302 applies when:
- any person knowingly marries his or her natural child or inflicts sexual penetration or sexual intrusion on or subjects to sexual contact
- a descendant, a brother or sister of the whole or half blood,
- or an uncle, aunt, nephew, or niece of the whole blood who is under 10 years of age
It is important to note that the Incest law itself applies to all descendants and blood relatives, regardless of age. On the other hand, Aggravated Incest refers to the behaviors above inflicted on any children under 21 years of age and blood relatives under the age of 10.
Consequences of Incest in Jefferson County, CO
The punishments for conviction of Incest in Colorado are especially severe. Incest is a class 4 felony which can result in an indeterminate prison sentence of 2 years to life and also fines of $2,000 – $500,000. If a victim suffers bodily injury or a deadly weapon was used, possessed, or threatened during the offense, the minimum incarceration period amplifies to 10 + years. Aggravated Incest is a class 3 felony in Colorado and is punishable by 4 years to life in the Colorado Department of Corrections, as well as a fine of $3,000 – $750,000. Furthermore, bodily injury to the victim or presence / threat of a deadly weapon increases the minimum prison sentence to 21 years. Additionally, consequences beyond incarceration and fines include:
- Sex Offender Intensive Supervised Probation (SOISP)
- Completion of Sex Offender Treatment / Evaluation
- Colorado Sex Offender Registration
Jefferson County Incest Lawyer | Expert Criminal Defense
Ramifications of an incest charge may seem insurmountable. However, the skilled defense attorneys at Sawyer Legal Group are here to help. If you are contacted by law enforcement regarding an incest case, it is vital that you exercise your right to remain silent. Don't provide any information or statements. Next, contact a capable Jefferson County incest lawyer for a free consultation. We will confidentially discuss your case and offer insight as to how to obtain your best possible outcome.
If you or someone you know is facing incest charges, be smart. Contact the highly rated defense attorneys at Sawyer Legal Group at 303-830-0880. Together, we can protect your future.
Photo Credit: Pexels – Danile Reche
There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.
Leave a Comment