Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

Municipal Court and County Court in Denver | Difference Between Colorado City (Municipal) and County Courts

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Jan 11, 2017 | 0 Comments

Learn more about the difference between county court and municipal court (city court) in Colorado.
Image Credit: Pixabay – mbraun0223

In Colorado, (city) municipal courts are different than county courts. Municipal courts, like the Denver Municipal Court, Aurora Municipal Court, or Lakewood Municipal Court, handle city law violations. County courts, such as the Adams County Court, Jefferson County Court, or Arapahoe County Court, deal with violations of state law. These may include misdemeanors (such as Public Indecency), protection orders or traffic infractions. Either way, a conviction in one of these courts can leave you with a harmful criminal record.  The criminal defense lawyers at the O'Malley Law Office in Denver practice in both courts.

Municipal Court and County Court in Aurora and Arapahoe County – Facing Charges in City vs. County Court

Generally, it is better to face charges in a Municipal Court (city court) in Aurora than in the Arapahoe County Courthouse. Some of the reasons for this are because of the ability to seal criminal records as well as the length of a possible jail sentence. In an Aurora Municipal Court, you are typically able to get your record sealed after you complete a waiting period following any jail or probation sentence. However, in Arapahoe County Court and other county courthouses in Colorado, many criminal records can never be sealed. Additionally, while a County Court jail sentence could be for up to two years, city courts can't sentence you to more than a year in jail.

Municipal Court in Parker and County Court in Douglas County | Police Decide Where to File Charges

In Parker and Douglas County, Colorado, police will usually decide where to file charges. City officials tell police which cases should be in what courts in Colorado. Some charges, such as DUI or DWAI charges, or felony charges, will be in County and District Court. Domestic Violence cases, Disorderly Conduct charges, or minor cases like minor Theft or Assault cases, will typically be held in the Parker Municipal Court. Juvenile cases can also be filed in City Court. The Parker Municipal Court processes Town of Parker and Town of Foxfield misdemeanor and traffic offenses.

Adams and Jefferson County Court or Golden and Brighton Municipal Court Lawyer: Do You Need a Lawyer for Municipal or County Court?

If you have a case in the Adams County Courthouse, Jefferson County Courthouse, or a city court (city code) in Golden or Brighton, contact the O'Malley Law Office right away. A criminal defense attorney can help with sealing criminal records, which is imperative for your future. A skilled criminal defense attorney can also work to reduce charges and help you avoid lengthy jail sentences. Don't face criminal charges alone, even if they are charges for minor city code violations. Call the O'Malley Law Office and schedule a free initial consultation with us immediately.

Request a Free Consultation

If you need a criminal defense lawyer to come with you to municipal court or county court in Colorado, be smart and exercise your right to remain silent. Then, call the O'Malley Law Office at 303-830-0880. Or, fill out the “Get Help Now” form on the side of this page. Together, we can protect your future.

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment