Colorado Sex Crime Attorney Blog

Sex Offender Registration and Deregistration for an Out-of-State Conviction

Posted by Kyle B. Sawyer | Jan 20, 2014 | 0 Comments

If you have an out-of-state conviction for a sex offense and want to move to Colorado, consult an attorney.
If you have an out-of-state conviction for a sexual based crime, and then move to Denver, Larimer or Arapahoe County, it is important to understand the rules of registration and deregistration. They vary from state to state.  This can be a complicated process – it is best to work with an experienced sex crimes attorney who can evaluate your conviction and go through the process of deregistration and registration as a sex offender so you will not inadvertently leave out information, or register incorrectly. If a mistake is made, you could be charged with Failure to Register – C.R.S. 18-3-412.5 – which can be either a felony or misdemeanor.

Are You Eligible for Deregistration?

The first thing you must consider when you are a convicted sex offender and you want to move to Colorado, is whether or not you are eligible for deregistration. As a sex offender, you cannot simply stop registering once you have reached the end of the time period for which you were required to register. First, you must petition the court in the jurisdiction where you live in order to remove your name from the registry.

Misdemeanor or Felony?

When you move, you will be required to deregister in the jurisdiction where you previously lived, and register in the new area. What makes this process difficult, is that each state defines criminal acts differently. For example, a crime might be a misdemeanor in another state, but in Adams, Douglas, and Jefferson County the same offense might be a felony. In Colorado, the time period you are required to register depends on the severity of your offense. Let's say you have a second conviction of Indecent Exposure– C.R.S. 18-7-302 out-of-state, which is a misdemeanor. The laws there require you register as a sex offender for five years. But, in Colorado, a second conviction of Indecent Exposure is a felony and requires you to register for 10 years.

Why You Need an Experienced Criminal Lawyer

The laws related to registration as a sex offender are complex and complicated. There are hundreds of little rules you must follow, or you could be charged with another crime and face jail or prison time. The registration process is made more complicated when a conviction is out-of-state. Don't attempt to figure out the process on your own and possibly commit another crime. We are experienced sex crimes defense attorneys who have helped hundreds of good people just like you deregister as sex offenders and make a move from out-of-state successfully. Contact us for a free consultation to discuss your case.

Request a Free Consultation

If you or a loved one has been charged with a sexual crime out-of-state and you want to move to Colorado, contact one of the experienced criminal defense attorneys at the O'Malley Law Office to look at your case and work out the best possible option. Contact us at 303-830-0880, or submit the “Get Help Now” form. Together, we can protect your future.

Image Courtesy of stockimages /

About the Author

Kyle B. Sawyer

I have a passion for defending others in criminal cases. I am able to empathize with my clients and understand their emotions and fears. I have a unique perspective on the criminal justice system and I understand what it feels like to be wrongly accused of a crime.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment