Denver internet sex crimes are serious offenses that often involve sending and receiving explicit material using electronic devices. With internet use at an all time high, pressing send at the wrong time or to the wrong person can result in criminal charges. Additionally, with teachers, pastors, coaches, and counselors using email, text, and video conferencing software more and more, their role as a position of trust prohibits them from communicating explicit sexual conduct to minors under 18. Contact an experienced internet sex crimes attorney right away if you're facing allegations of this nature.
Denver's Internet Sex Offenses
There are several different internet sex crimes in Colorado that can result in harsh ramifications. These include:
- Sexual Exploitation of a Child – possessing, distributing, or creating sexually explicit material involving juveniles.
- Internet Sexual Exploitation of a Child – electronically encouraging someone 17 or younger to participate in sexual behavior or to watch another do so.
- Unlawful Electronic Sexual Communication – describing explicit sexual conduct electronically or electronically encouraging the exposure or touching of intimate parts with a minor age 15, 16, or 17 as a position of trust.
- Internet Luring of a Child – communicating sexual content to a child under 15 and attempting to meet in person.
- Enticement of a Child – inviting a child 14 or younger to a location intending to perform sexual acts.
These five offenses are particularly complex and address quite a bit of inappropriate online communication. It is essential that adults understand what can and can't be sent on smartphones, laptops, and tablets when the recipient is a juvenile. Sometimes the adult isn't the first to send questionable material or makes a legitimate attempt to stop the communication, yet they bear 100% of the responsibility.
Penalties for Internet Sex Crimes in Denver
The penalties for conviction of an internet sex crime in Colorado are particularly severe. Each of these crimes are felony sex offenses, potentially resulting in:
- years in the Colorado Department of Corrections,
- up to six-figure fines,
- evaluation / treatment,
- sex offender intensive supervised probation,
- sex offender registration
Recovering from the magnitude of these consequences can be especially difficult. Community isolation, employment difficulties, and housing issues are common for those convicted of internet sex crimes in Colorado.
Internet Sex Offense Attorney in Denver
Finding an experienced sex crimes attorney is paramount in internet cases. We have decades of combined experience defending clients facing internet sex crime charges. Our results speak for themselves. Contact our office today for a free consultation. We will carefully analyze your unique case, as well as suggest next steps. We offer same-day jail visits, affordable fees, and flexible payment plans for those facing charges throughout Colorado.